Monday, April 12, 2010

Who says you can't crave salad?

Chicken Caprese Salad







So for dinner last night I made one of my favs, Chicken Caprese Salad.
The basic ingredients I like to use are:
  • One bag of Fresh Express Italian salad mix
  • one medium sized ball of Bel Gioso Fresh Mozarella (always ALWAYS use the freshest, best kind of mozarella. You'll pay more for a little chunk of it than the big generic bag of it but it is THE Difference in the salad!)
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • one beefsteak tomato
  • one bottle of Ken's Balsamic or Basil and Balsamic Vinagrette.
  • 1/4 tsp of Salt
  • 1/4 tsp of pepper
  • 1 tbsp of Grillmates montreal chicken seasoning

Vegetarian spin

Although I haven't tried it, you could substitute the chicken with tofu and grill the same way. Being an animal lover, I've been trying to eat more vegetarian meals.

Directions:

I begin by rubbing the olive oil evenly over both sides of the chicken. I usually just eyeball the amount of seasoning by grinding about a 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken then following with the montreal chicken seasoning.

I heat a small pan on medium-high and grill each chicken breast until it is slightly golden on both sides. (about 5-6 min per side depending on the size of the chicken)

*a tip is to buy the thin sliced chicken breast, it cooks quicker and makes easy bite size pieces.

Whenever I am using a cutting board for more than one thing during a recipe, I just cover it with a sheet of wax paper so that I can reuse it without having to rinse and dry.

I cut the chicken into about 1 inch chunks and set aside.

Remove and change the wax paper, cut the mozarella into 1 inch chunks.

Repeat using the tomato.

Fill a large bowl with the salad and top evenly with chicken, mozarella and tomato. (I'm not a huge tomato fan so whenever I can get away with it I avoid using it)

distribute evenly in your bowls and top with your balsamic vinagrette.

viola!

One of the easiest, most delicious salads, definitely my personal favorite.

I guarantee once you make it you will have a craving for it the next week. This recipe yields enough to make it a main course and it will be hard to want to eat anything else with it!

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Hello! My name is Rachel, I just recently moved into a new home with my boyfriend of 7 years. This blog is all about the things I love, sunny days, crafty things, delicious recipes and home decor! I also share with you pretty things that I love, a little bit of fashion and a whole lot of pictures of my fur baby, Bear. I'm so glad you're here!